Turn Off (or Turn On) Windows XP Modem Sound
- Click Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. The Network Connections window opens.
- Right-click a connection, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu. The Properties dialog box for that connection opens.
- On the General tab, click Configure.
The Modem Configuration dialog box opens.
- At the bottom of the dialog box, select or clear the check box for Enable modem speaker, and then click OK.
- Click OK in the Properties dialog box to close it.
NOTE: If you want to turn the modem sound off or on, and if the above procedure does not work, open Internet Explorer and click Tools > Internet Options > Connections. Then click Settings > Properties > Configure. You will then see what appears to be the same Modem Configuration dialog box that you previously opened in the procedure above. Select or clear the check box again. Then click OK in each open dialog box to close it.
To control the volume of a modem whose sound you want to keep turned on, you should perform the procedure at http://www.granatedit.com/xpmodemvolume.html.